>Speaking only for myself I start with a list of:
>
>1.  What capabilities I need.
>2.  What capabilities I want.
>3.  What capabilities would be nice.

That is exactly the point. You don't start off saying I need a "laptop."
You start with capabilities and needs.

You say "I need a small, light computer I can carry around." Then when
you are presented with an 8-pound "laptop" you say "No, no, no."

Or you say "I need a compact one-piece computer that won't clutter my
house with computer hardware." For that need an 8-pound "laptop" may be
just fine. The 20-inch iMac would also be fine.

My point is that saying it must be a laptop makes as much sense as saying
your MP3 player must be brown. It artificially limits your choices and
causes you to buy the wrong thing.

P.S. Today Apple's online store is offering a 20-inch iMac on clearence
for $999.