Interesting. The .ics is a "native" calendar format for a variety of calendar apps. I used several .ics files last week when I transferred my calendar entries to my new iMac, and when I updated the online calendar links in iCal.

It's easy to import. For one of the calendars I just dragged the .ics file to the iCal icon and it imported automatically. Or I can double-click for the calendar to open in iCal. Or from within iCal, I can select Import from the file menu. Should work similarly for other calendar programs.

Betty