Of course, try the obvious (reboot the computer, reboot the printer, replug, check the ink, try the printer and cable on another computer) If all else fails, a complete reinstall of the operating system may be your best solution. Win98 was not very stable... it usually needed to be erased and completely reinstalled yearly for power users, and 2 to 3 years for the average (light use) users. Of course a botched install of a device driver or application might damage the registry to the point of needing a complete install in just 1 day (Hey, I've seen it happen!) This will also restore the speed that the user experienced when they first bought the computer, and that makes them very happy!

In January, after months of trying to fix my mother-in-laws WIN98 printer problem over the phone, I just took her a new computer. She insisted the refilled ink cartridge was new and working, but when I visited her, there was no ink (or dried ink) in the cartridge. She was too cheap to buy a new manufacturer cartridge to test her printer.

 Good luck!

 - Brian

My relative has an issue with his Gateway Win 98 computer which I am
trying to help him resolve (long distance). He is trying to hook up a
Compaq IJ650 Printer with a USB cable. He has lost the installation
disk but I was able to find the drivers for it
(http://tinyurl.com/6spkf), and send them down. With great difficulty
installing them, he was able to get it working over the weekend. But
now it no longer works. Besides the obvious (get a new computer!), is
there something that might help solve this problem?