I am trying to repair a wormy EMachines W3107 with a damaged recovery partition.

I contacted tech support for a disc set, and they said:
  "We do not keep recovery disc images prior to March 2006."
and they could not provide a set.

This is a very disturbing development ...   Comments? Help?;

Did you back up [clone] the recovery partition on DVDs? If not, shame on you!

Did your PC include an official certificate of authenticity [the one with the hologram] from Microsoft? Is it registered?

If so, you can get the OS disks directly from MS, but with a lot of wrangling and annoyances. On their support site, there's a toll-free support phone number [in Canada] where you can request the discs. Be prepared for them to tell you that they want $20-30 for burning, shipping, handling, AND they want you to FAX a copy of the certificate [this hurdle prevents you from scanning and attaching to an email, and the fax number isn't toll-free]. Try to find disks locally. It's easier, and may be cheaper.

Betty