>I ordered a Tivax STB-T8 yesterday. Has good reviews, customers and >review sites.

I have it and much regret the purchase. Poor sensitivity. Crummy remote. Slow to change channels. Poor display of program info. Suspect they paid for good reviews or the other boxes must be really bad. The RCA box we have works much better.

We have an excellent RCA powered VHF/UHF antenna that we'll use with it; might hook up the roof antenna. Since the TV's only used for late night shows and watching sports when local stations are blacked out, it doesn't have to be anything except a receiver. I don't care about program info display, just picture. I know which channels to watch [must find new numbers] and when the shows are on. Besides we can always look at our big TVs for program info.

Reception depends a lot on where you live and which antenna you use, too. Customer reviews vary widely on all products, so you have to pick and choose, then cross your fingers when you buy a device. This one got great reviews and awful reviews, like most converters, except the ones that only got awful reviews. None got all good reviews.