Thanks Tom and db, for your advice.

My Alsoft advice was from Marc Moorash,  Alsoft Technical Support.

I have no idea about what's in the drive, and I don't want to open it, as it belongs to a friend of mine, not to me.

I will re-boot the iMac, and let my e-mail pile up on Verizon's server, and run only DiskWarrior. If it doesn't come out of Step 1 by Monday morning, I'll give the drive back to my friend. He may then need to just reformat and lose the data that's on it.

Ah, wait! I forgot about my lil' netbook, which I use only for iTunes with my audio system! I'll turn on the wifi on my router (normally off) and get my e-mail as web mail!

Alvin