On Tue, 19 May 2009, phartz...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM, John Duncan Yoyo <johnduncany...@gmail.com>
wrote:
The old channel numbers are now just a label.  That label will stick with
the stations; although, the transmission channel used may be something
else.  4 is in the low section of the VHF band and will not be used for
Digital TV after July.   The actual transmission channels will be 7 and
above.

 I understand that.  I do remain curious as to why the channel
numbers, i.e., Channel 4 will sometimes disappear to be replaced by
the frequency assignment number, and then revert back a short while
later.  Channel 4, WRC, is currently on UHF channel 48 and will remain
there after June 12.

As I understand it, the "label" is a piece of data carried inside the
digital TV signal. If your TV sees this label data, it will display it.
Presumably, the data may have been missing or corrupted at times, and
so your TV just displayed the channel number that would normally be at
that frequency (i.e. UHF/48). That's just my guess, though.

--
Vicky Staubly       http://www.steeds.com/vicky/        vi...@steeds.com