>When I right click on a link that turns out to be dead...
>and tell it to open in a new tab, it opens up a "Can't find this page"
>message... on every open window I have.

I do have this happen from time to time, especially when I click on a
string of news links from a news site. I have these open in a string of
tabs so the pages will be fully loaded by the time I flip to them. When I
later reload the "dead" pages they usually turns out to be fine. So I
think this is more likely a DNS response problem, not a browser problem.