No worries! I can tinker with it.
Another thought I had regarding updaters is that generally the updaters on my computers are from Apple or from open source like Mozilla. Google is a commercial company. That's why I'm more cautious about them.

Thanks

Tom Piwowar wrote:
My first thought is "No thank you". My second thought is "can I
disable the background updater after downloading".

Search the drive for "GoogleSoftwareUpdate." I found 2 GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle files on my drive. Open the bundle and find GoogleSoftwareUpdate.app and GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon inside.

I have read that if you delete these they will be put back after you run any Google application.

I don't have time to play with it now. You want to give it a try?

I guess they forgot that they are not supposed to do evil.