So scary!

The MIT "futuristic" networked bus stop is overkill. The excess electronics are beyond what people need to take a bus. A map, an accurate schedule and basic protection from weather [for long waits] are about all that's needed. It's helpful to have announcements about the next bus or delays, both of which can be done with crawling text [as on trains] instead of an interactive computer screen.

I wonder if the people who designed this take buses, or have considered what will happen to these bus stops in a variety of locations.

Just kidding about the free WiFi. However, WiFi or similar will soon be another necessary utility instead of a frill. There are several mobile telephone services based mostly on WiFi [UK, France, etc.]. I spoke with T-Mobile last night about moving between WiFi and cellular networks seamlessly, but not free--yet. They're working on it and have several phones for that. Other services will follow. AT&T + iPhone already do that.

It's sort of scary how often I almost sort of agree with you.

Public transportation, public education, they have tangible
benefits even though I don't ride buses currently or have
children in school.  But I have no problem paying for them
because there are valid social reasons for doing so.

Constitutionally, that's the "general welfare and the blessings
of liberty."

The "haves", like you and me, pay more.  That's fair.  But
what is more important, "free" Wi-Fi or track maintenance?

Why should I accept being asked to pay for a frill that may be
nice, but is manifestly unnecessary for the majority of transit
users?

I'm not turning in my Illuminati ID card that fast, sister.