> Given what security features that are switched on in Vista/Win7 when first
> installed that were off by design in XP  it isn't that high a hurdle to
> jump.

Even so, this doesn't detract from the validity of the statement.
Vista/7 are far more secure than XP in a default installation, what
the vast majority of home users will run.

XP can be made secure. I have about 100 people running XP as a
non-hardened LUA user and IE as their only browser, with only
client-based anti-virus and a perimeter firewall.  We haven't had a
malware issue since 2002, when we still ran Win98 and the virus came
in on a system that had a non-functioning A/V via web mail.