> People steal identities all the time. It does not require reading a
> passport rfid. Nor does reading a passport rfid make it any easier.
>
> It may be true in the future that muggers will carry rfid scanners.
> They may be small enough that they could be concealed in the clothing,
> and would perhaps use a projection system to display the data inside
> the thief's retina where no one else could see what he was doing. But
> if you're worried about real life violence *today*, then you'll want
> to stop going to grocery stores or worse - don't ever stop to fill up
> your gas tank!

People like Tony don't go anywhere exciting or dangerous, so he doesn't have to worry.

People have been targeted through their RFID tagged passports in places like London or Hamburg or Amsterdam or Tunis. The typical RFID scanner can only read a tag from a distance of around 12". The boosted RFID readers can read the tags in passports and other cards at a distance of 30 feet and more.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially after being robbed at gunpoint in another country a couple of years ago, and another time being caught in the middle of riots. "Disaster travel" can be dangerous, but it will always be exciting--never boring.

Betty

---