On Aug 5, 2009, at 7:42 PM, Mike wrote:
That asked, I have the opposite experience with pc's, they continue to run with no issues.

A lot of it depends on how you define the word "run."

The MO of Windows IT is typically to run a highly centralized operation. That is how they define efficiency. Every time a PC is started software, patches, settings, policies, etc. download and the user has to go get a cup of coffee or maybe two. They use the Policy Editor to play god. IT rarely touches actual user computers and hasn't a clue about the daily problems users face. For example, I have seen departments where only one computer was able to print and people had to line up there. Since IT was never around they didn't have a clue that there were problems. IT thinks "everything runs."

Even working with Macs, it is not uncommon for me to go on site to deal with a single, small problem and then spend the whole day fixing problems that IT never knew about. People track me down or when I go back to where I left my bag I will find a bunch of notes waiting for me. Sometimes IT gets annoyed. They ask: "Why don't they talk to us?" I've asked users the same question. They tell me: "You get things fixed. IT doesn't. They don't know what we do. IT is out of touch."

So IT thinks everything is running fine, but that is because they are out of touch. Users hate their guts.