> The most important issue is that MS has to stop selling Word with XML
> and pay money.  In effect, Word has been orphaned unless MS can switch
> to something besides XML quickly.

No, the ruling is much narrower than just "You can't use XML". It has to do
with support for the creation of certain kinds of custom XML documents by users
(this allows users to create forms and
similar templates). It's significant that the ruling only affects Word, not
PowerPoint or Excel, both of which also use XML for document storage.

In any event, the injunction is never going to take effect. MS has appealed and
it will either get the ruling overturned or it will pay off this little
company, in which someone else has simply
stepped up to the Microsoft ATM and made a big withdrawal.

> That being said, Microsoft has had to issue fixes for XML in the
> relatively recent past, consider:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-069.mspx
>
> I can also recall MS having to issue fixes for XML Zero Day flaws.  It
> appears that as soon as one flaw is fixed, others crop up with XML usage.

Fine, but my point is that these are not security issues with XML as you
implied. They are issues with the code that parses and processes XML documents.
It's not valid to say "XML has security
issues", because it doesn't.