From the ars technica article that your battery numbers come
from:

<http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/08/zune-hd-specs-reveal-battery-life-estimates-format-support.ars >
Battery life is cited as up to 24 hours (wireless off) for music
and up to four hours for video, but this seemed a little toward
the low-end. We e-mailed Microsoft and got back much better
numbers: up to 33 hours (wireless off) for music and up to 8.5 hours

I saw this in the comments and can't improve upon it:

So wait...you emailed MS that you thought their official battery estimates were low and they just upped the numbers for you...?? ?? Aren't the official
numbers the result of TESTING...?? ??

Now tell me, doesn't this business sound the least bit suspicious to you?

From:    Jeff Wright <jswri...@gmail.com>

Battery life:
I said *advertised* battery life and I'm sticking with that.  The HD
numbers you quote comes from something MS reportedly sent
to engadget.  However, MS's own store as of a few minutes ago
says 24 hours audio, 4 hours video:

<http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Zune-HD-32/product/41941DC9#ctl19_tcla
_a

OK, stick with whatever you want. It's from MS, that makes it a claimed
battery life.

It's a safe bet that both mfrs claims are exaggerated.