Yes as they get hit by spikes etc. they loose the ability to filter them out.

I like them just for the power option alone with out the regulation. I would take one of those and plug it into a newer strip. That way you get protection and convenience.

Still using one on the church machine.  (It is over 10 years old.)

Stewart