There's one satellite--the Advanced Composition Explorer--that would give us 15
minutes of warning to another Carrington Event, but it's 11 years old and past
its planned life span.  (Of course, we would need some kind of emergency plan
to shut off all transformers to save them; but if we didn't have the satellite
to give 15 minutes of warning, no emergency plan would be possible.)

I hate to sound like a broken record, but WRITE YOUR CONGRESSPERSONS and tell
them that you want the space program to get funded.  Without political support,
the space program--or the good parts of it, anyway--will go away.

Has Senator Barbara Mikulski supported legislation for this? She was instrumental in getting Hubble approved, into orbit and repaired when needed. A lot of this work has been done at Goddard and Hopkins APL in Maryland.

What a mess. Bankrupting the federal government means that we might not be protected from a collision by an asteroid. What planet do the neo/cons live on!!!!! I'll call Sen. Mikulski's office.

Betty