Has he reset the CMOS so he can boot from a CD?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gail.Miller" <gail.mil...@comcast.net>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:10 AM
Subject: [CGUYS] Fw: Windows Live One Scan and Cleanup

Hi ...

My neighbor just used Windows Live One Scan and Clean on his Dell laptop and it apparently has completely crashed his computer. When it tried to reboot after the scan he could hear the hdd whirring and the screen lit up for a moment with the "Dell" logo but then went to black and he can't get a picture to come back onto the monitor (excepton trying the reboot again, it will come back just momentarily). Then the mouse arrow appears on the screen (again only momentarily) and then it goes to black, the hdd (or something) continues to whirr and nothing else happend.

I looked at the Windows Live site trying to help him find a contact number to call but can't find anything even close to a contact phone or email.

The computer (several years old) (Inspiron 8000) originally had Windows ME on it but he upgraded to Windows XP and has the XP CD but that won't bring up a picture on the screen either.

Is this something mindless and easy to fix? (I hope!) Or will it require a trip to the shop (assuming he can find a decent one. He's in Takoma Park MD. Any suggestions?)

This message neer got posted to the group so I'm forwarding it from my "sent" box. My friend phoned to say he was able to get the computer to boot from the cd but called back to say it was short-lived. Within the hour, the monitor had gone to black again. Any suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance for your help !!

Best, Gail Miller