Why?  My first thought is you may have encountered name brand stuff that had
not passed QC well enough to be sold at other retailers?  I've never heard
of this but could be..?  Is a walmart sandisk different from a fry's
electronics sandisk?  I have a friend who bought some name brand jeans there
for cheap and although the brand is the same, they are definately of a
different quality then those bought at other stores.