To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:33 PM
Subject: [CGUYS] Primer on RAID

Hi all,

I will be taking delivery of a new Intel i7-920 Win 7 PC shorty and it will come with 12 G of DDRR3 RAM and a 1TB HD to which I intend to add a 2nd 1TB drive that I just bought for a PC that is no longer going to be used.

I have never used any RAID or similar configuration and am wondering what are the pros and cons.

This is a home machine and in the past when I had multiple disks I always backed up my critical data and media etc from my "main" drive manually to one of the other physical disks, on the premise that, unless there was a fire and the whole computer melted, the odds of 2 physical drives failing at the same time are infinitesimally small.

But with 2 really large drives, and a lot of RAM and a very fast machine coming, I am wondering if I should be using a RAID configuration, and if so, what advantages or disadvantages does that bring.

Advice is welcome.

Michael