Yes, you can boot from an external drive, but that's not what he's asking.

When I worked with classified information, I had computers which would boot normally from the HDD 0 with access to the internet, then I had a SCSI Jaz Drive with a completely separate installation of the operating system and no access to network adapters.

Worked like a charm. The main thing we did to remind the user which configuration they were in was to change the desktop background color. I think the classified ones were red...

----- Original Message ----- From: "betty" <b1sun...@yahoo.es>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Swapping Boot Drives

With a Windows PC, can you boot from an external drive? If not, can you run programs from an external drive?

I do this with my Mac, and run Windows inside VirtualBox, but don't usually use my husband's PCs. If I plan to install the hard drive in the computer, I'll run it bare using a drive adapter [USB <-> SATA/ATA] for a short time until I have a chance to install the drive permanently.

You may be able to do this on a Dell.