Quark XPress = user hostile.

I take it that you are an InDesign user? I think Quark made a much better
analysis, with better success, at managing the complexity of a modern page
layout application than Adobe did. If you are used to something different and
try to apply your old style of working to a different program it is bound to be
frustrating, but that does not mean Quark is worse. When I train Quark users to
use InDesign I see their frustration.

I prefer Quark XPress to Adobe InDesign--I know how to use both--I just justify buying a new version. Yes, Quark is user-hostile to new users, and has a very steep learning curve. I had less than a week to learn the program and design/produce a lot of ads, with only one other very busy person to ask about how to use it. That was after using PageMaker since v.1.

Once I got to the peak, it's amazing how many things I can do in Quark that Adobe didn't even imagine. Quark also has lots of XTensions/plugins/modules that make it even more versatile, especially compared to InDesign.

However, I use InDesign CS3 now. It fits into my budget better Quark since I don't need to use it full time.