On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM, t.piwowar <t...@tjpa.com> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2010, at 8:36 PM, Art Clemons wrote:
>
>> The truth is that we need some method of rapid charging said batteries on
>> the go.  Ten minutes charging for let's say 200 minutes of driving would be
>> reasonable presently (not much longer than filling up with gasoline), but we
>> as a nation don't have the electrical distribution for either battery
>> exchange or fast charging, leaving electric cars as something for local
>> commuting.
>>

> Yes that has been worked out. It was discovered that charging takes so long
> because the electrons have to cross a porous barrier and most of the time
> they bounce back because they fail to align with the opening in the barrier.
> Some guys figured out how to eliminate most of the misses so charging can
> take just a few minutes. Their new problem is figuring out how to supply so
> much current is such a short time interval.
>
> Coleman, among others, has a rapid charge screw driver that uses a big
capacitor in place of a battery.  IMS the trick here is having a similar
capacitor in the base charging all the time.  They trade the charge in
something like 90 seconds.  The down side is capacitors aren't as stable as
batteries.

<http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4223118.html>
--
John Duncan Yoyo