One of those later SNL skits had the Will Ferrell character come
out with a big 80s style cell phone, and when teased about it by
the "girls", insisted that " 'big' is the new 'small' ".  Insert your own
iPad jokes here.

As to why the micro SIM has to be smaller than the mini SIM, if it is
to be backwards compatible but physically distinguishable and not
forwards compatible from the mini SIM, then the pin end has to have
the same pin placement, and the width, thickness, and placement of
the locking notches on the sides have to be the same or close as well,
so a shorter length is pretty much the only option.  Generally speaking,
you want the working part of your electronics (as opposed to the
part you regularly interface with) to do more in less space, too.