Normally I'd agree with you, Mike... but I think the article actually
rationalized it reasonably well.
It isn't to protect people from what they said...
...its to protect them (both the person and google) from what they DIDN'T
say.

It is admitting that:
1) Their software isn't perfect
2) That it may be used in situations where it can't really be reviewed
before it is used
and 3) That it may make errors in a way that are considered inappropriate.

In that sense, it is an interesting solution to the problem.