I think that publisher had its fight with Amazon over the issue of
who controls the pricing.  Apple isn't locking out any other e-book
vendors.  Their books will use the open ePub format, so just like
you can do now with non-DRMed MPG and AAC files, you
probably will be able to buy books from many vendors and import
them into iTunes to put them on your iPad.  For proprietary formats
like Amazon's, there is already a Kindle Book App for iPhone and
supposedly a forthcoming Nook app.  If their makers are smart
they will scale the apps up to the iPad, since they wouldn't want
to lose content sales.

I am more worried about DRM.  I think it would be ideal if Apple
were able to handle books the same way they do their music,
which is to not have DRM but to tag the content with account
information to discourage abuse.  But the publishers may insist
on something stronger than that, like they mostly do for video
content.