While I enjoy all the discussion about an Apple product that isn't
even shipping yet, maybe we should open up the discussion up
a little.

<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/188527/hey_google_why_no_multitouch_for_the_droid.html>

"Hey, Google! Why No Multitouch for the Droid?"

Only Google's own Nexus One is getting multitouch, Droid customers
are out of luck, at least so far.  Google says that the Droid doesn't have
the horsepower for multitouch, despite the fact that the european version
of the droid (the Milestone) and other less powerful handsets already have
multitouch.

We've been arguing over whether Apple is too controlling, whether its
devices are too lacking in ports/features, etc., but because Google
apparently doesn't exercise much control over Android, basic hardware
features can go unsupported indefinitely.  (Of course, they can for Apple
too, like the bluetooth capabilities in the Touch that weren't turned on
for a while).  Also, because of the many Android OS versions and hardware
models, there is no guarantee that any particular Android app will work on
any given Android phone.  People like choice, sure, but they also need a
degree of certainty to base their choices on.