IIRC, the line terminator for text files on Apple computers used to be
a carriage return.

On unix, it has always been a line feed.  I wonder what it is, now
that the OS is based on unix.

I believe that "\r" is an escape sequence to represent a carriage
return.  That might give a clue as to why this happened?

Can't you see this file in the Finder and just drag it to the trash
bin?  Since when are Apple computers so command-line intensive?