Dell notebooks are heavy and clunky, but not too bad. Toshiba makes excellent notebooks. If I were buying a Dell, I'd get the new Alien notebook. Alien finally has a smaller, still powerful notebook for a reasonable price. Apple also makes excellent PC notebooks, in case you forgot that they run both Windows and Mac OS X natively.

The weight of the Dells won't matter as long as you don't plan to carry one around. Sony makes computers, so I hear, but I've owned a lot of Sony products and the only one that didn't die before its time was the Trinitron CRT display--never again.