It is quite possible this is the case.

I live in a one zip code town.  Many of the small towns around here are.

So if I saw a zip code one number off of my towns zip code I could say it is a non existent address. I said I could, however I know better.

I also am secretary for our local Kiwanis Club. We have a PO Box in the post office that serves our town (It is of course identified with our towns Zip Code on the outside) When I started doing our club letterhead, I found out our zip code is one off of the delivery zip code. (61 instead of 60)

So this indeed is a strong possibility.

Stewart