It mainly is based on expected usage.

They expect you to use it more so you pay more for it.

My church office uses a 1.5 mps connection. We are not a heavy user and do not rely on a super high speed connection for our work.

Now if I were a business that required a high speed connection tog et a loot of work done I would see them charging for a higher speed.

Recently the cable company said they could offer a 16mps connection. Now I would pay a high price for that, but instead they increased my 5 mps to an 8 mps for the same price.

my biggest frustration is the servers used by many sites from which I can do downloads. They throttle those suckers so that no matter how fast a connection you have it still takes a long time to download stuff.

Stewart