I haven't heard about Pith Helmet for a while.  The last time
I paid it any attention, a Safari update had come out, and the
two wouldn't work together very well until Pith Helmet made
a series of fixes.  Looking at the website, I see that they
say that the most recent version is compatible with Safari
3.2, and Safari is up to version 4.0+ now, so it doesn't look
like it is very current.

I don't know of any popup blocker that always works on any
browser.  Firefox has one of the best popup blockers I've seen,
and things still get by them.  Some sites will evade the
blockers by using a click on the page to launch the popup, and
they can be very clever at getting you to click on the page.