On Apr 14, 2010, at 3:19 PM, b_s-wilk wrote:
Why use an ever-changing format when you can use a reliable universal standard like TIFF or the largest JPEG. With basic SLR and darkroom, and scanner, or digital camera and Photoshop, I can get whatever kind of image I want and not have to worry that my file won't open in the near future.

This is a problem, but for those who want the very best image it is a problem that is worth tolerating. The reason to capture the image in RAW format is that it is the only version of the data that is exactly what the camera captured. A TIFF or JPEG file is obtained by processing what the camera captured. This processing is performed by the puny computer inside the camera and in a context where speed is of the essence. Hence the algorithms employed are designed for speed, not to produce the best quality. Capturing RAW postpones the processing for later and moves the processing to a powerful desktop computer and a context where speed is not as important. The conversion from RAW to TIFF or JEPG can be performed using algorithms that emphasize quality.