On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM, mike <xha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is how it's always been, new speech comes along with every
> generation and every previous one complains.

  I believe that computer speak, except in terms of brand new products
and types of devices and protocols, has remained pretty stable and not
much changed since the mid-eighties.  Now, quite suddenly in my
estimation, I am seeing some newly popularized terms, or terms that
are trying to become popularized, to describe things that have been
around since the early days of computing.

  Apple has pushed new terminology upon the overall computing public,
and I believe that to be a scheme to associate new terminology with
the Apple brand.  In other words, 'app' conjures up Apple's store.  So
perhaps Apple is running the entire new show these days, almost singly
forming the computing lexicon of the future.  But, I also feel that
the Twitter effect, folks not having enough time, energy, attention
span or available space to be able to fully express themselves, or
perhaps not even caring if they do or not, is at play.  Perhaps all of
life is desirous of being turned into one big compressed MP3 file by
some folks.

  I said that I see using clipped speech, truncated words and silly,
single letter abbreviations for whole words as being less than adult.
I do not see that as being related to Mac user and more that to any
other platform, or as in 'new speak,' plat.

  Steve

**   THIS LIST HAS MOVED TO YAHOO    **
**  PLEASE JOIN THE DISCUSSION THERE **
**   Info at http://www.cguys.org/   **