Hi,

If you don't want to use an IR receiver  you could connect the cable
from the extender directly to your serial port, see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Wireless_Extender
I have tried that with my onboard serial header and that works.
Only thing was that it seemed to cause interference with my tuner card
and vice-versa. As I have an IR connection on my tuner card I'm going to
  attach the cable from the extender to that. Just need to get the
correct cable and then I let you know if and how fast is works.
The receiver works as a RF to IR converter so it spits out IR codes, so
that wil always give some delay. Mapping a device to a port on the
extender should make a tiny difference. Perhaps the fastest would be an
RF receiver in your PC but I have no clue how the Harmony would talk to
that then. As a normal wireless keyboard? Hmm, nice project for the
weekend :)

greetings, S