On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 06:48:43PM +0100, Nawak wrote:
>   Hi everybody,
>
> I really would have liked to start my message with congratulations and
> all, but alas I can't even use the software! :)
> I have downloaded concordance from the project's page but it doesn't
> contain windows binaries.
> As binary compatibility is problematic under Linux, I understand why
> people distribute their software in source forms.
> But usually binary compatibility is very good in windows, so I would
> have expected to find windows binaries somewhere.
> Did I miss them? If not, providing them would be greatly appreciated,
> because compilers are not so ubiquitous in the windows world, and
> expecting every user to download, install and correctly use Visual
> Studio is a bit harsh!
> Is there a technical reason for not providing the binaries?

Hi. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have Windows is the main reason there are no Windows binaries. :)

That said, most people who would not feel comfortable downloading VS probably
also don't feel comfortable using command-line software in Windows either.
Although congruity, the python GUI that Stephen maintains, I believe works on
Windows, but again, you'd have to have python installed and a handful of
libraries, which I don't expect is all that common.

There's the additional problem that if the binaries come from someone who is
not Stephen or I, it's hard to know what's in that binary. I wouldn't mind
pointing to a random binary, but I wouldn't want to make it an official
download unless I was familiar with the person who built it.

So that's a summary of the reasons both technical and otherwise. Input,
suggestions, comments, feedback, are all welcome.

Sadly, there are a variety of free, public build-systems out there for Linux,
but none for Windows. I've been looking. If I find one, I'll gladly build and
distribute Windows binaries (and be able to keep the Windows code more
tested).

--
Phil Dibowitz                             p...@ipom.com
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
 and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Seuss