http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/GSaulB/TM

      1. Re: Advanced English + Babel text
           From: John Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      2. USAGE: rhotics (was: Advanced English + Babel text)
           From: "J. 'Mach' Wust" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      3. Re: Fwd:       Lateral Plosive
           From: "Mark J. Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      4. Re: The Conversive
           From: caeruleancentaur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      5. Re: langmaker site link not found
           From: Jeffrey Henning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      6. Re: Tatari Faran: volition, verb complements, phonology update, and more
           From: Rodlox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      7. Re: HELP: Translating the Babel Text
           From: Carsten Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      8. Re: The Conversive
           From: Carsten Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      9. Re: samhain?
           From: John Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     10. Re: samhain?
           From: Kit La Touche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     11. Re: Hobbits spoke Indonesian!
           From: "B. Garcia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     12. Re: Advanced English + Babel text
           From: "Pascal A. Kramm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     13. AE: Reloaded + Babel
           From: "Pascal A. Kramm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     14. Re: Advanced English + Babel text
           From: "J. 'Mach' Wust" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     15. Re: samhain?
           From: And Rosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     16. Re: The Conversive
           From: Paul Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     17. Re: samhain?
           From: John Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     18. Re: Advanced English + Babel text
           From: "Ph. D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     19. Re: samhain?
           From: "Mark J. Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     20. Re: Advanced English + Babel text
           From: Sally Caves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:33:55 -0500
   From: John Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advanced English + Babel text

Ray Brown scripsit:

> Quite so - and it some contexts, in fact, it is quite useful to
> distinguish between _us_ and _US_    ;)

"By common consent, [the mixed British-American unit developing Ground
Controlled Approach in England during WWII] had quietly dropped the
standard RAF abbreviation U/S for 'unserviceable' -- it took too much
explaining, and even when explained was likely to hurt sensitive American
feelings."
        --Arthur C. Clarke, _Glide Path_

> Yes - proposed reforms of English spelling are legion. Rather like
> auxlangs, the supply far exceeds the demand.

Alas.  And when there is so obviously One Right Way, too.

--
And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening
beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from

Message: 2