1a. Re: Conlang books collection on Amazon
    From: Sai Emrys
1b. Re: Conlang books collection on Amazon
    From: Jim Henry
1c. Re: Conlang books collection on Amazon
    From: Sai Emrys
1d. Re: Conlang books collection on Amazon
    From: Jim Henry

2a. Re: Sonority hierarchy (was: Radical-Metathesis)
    From: Benct Philip Jonsson

1a. Re: Conlang books collection on Amazon
    Posted by: "Sai Emrys" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Date: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:27 pm ((PST))

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Jim Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  How about John Lyons' Introduction to Theoretical Linguistics?

Done, and thanks for the link (much easier!).

One other thing that reminded me of: you can (independently) add tags
to books on Amazon.

So: if you feel like it or are looking through Amazon for whatever
reason, add the tag 'conlangs' (with s) to anything you think is
relevant. Right now it has 0 hits AFAIK. I can make a thingy that
shows all conlangs-tagged books so people can see 'em.

- Sai

1b. Re: Conlang books collection on Amazon
    Posted by: "Jim Henry" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Date: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:59 pm ((PST))

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Sai Emrys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  So: if you feel like it or are looking through Amazon for whatever
>  reason, add the tag 'conlangs' (with s) to anything you think is
>  relevant. Right now it has 0 hits AFAIK. I can make a thingy that
>  shows all conlangs-tagged books so people can see 'em.

Cool. I've just tagged several good sf novels that involve conlangs
in one way or another.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry

    Date: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:25 am ((PST))

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Jim Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Sai Emrys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  So: if you feel like it or are looking through Amazon for whatever
>  >  reason, add the tag 'conlangs' (with s) to anything you think is
>  >  relevant. Right now it has 0 hits AFAIK. I can make a thingy that
>  >  shows all conlangs-tagged books so people can see 'em.
>
>  Cool. I've just tagged several good sf novels that involve conlangs
>  in one way or another.

Here's the link (oy it's ugly; hopefully the <>-encapsulation works...):

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Ftag%2Fconlangs&tag=lcs-books-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325>

Or again, just go to <http://conlangs.berkeley.edu/schwag.php> - it's
above the widget.

I tried adding the books from the previous list, but evidently tagging
things there doesn't affect the public book tags. Blah; that means
I'll have to go through and tag 'em all, which I'll do at some point
later.

Perhaps someone could make a conlangs Amazon guide?
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/create/ref=tag_tdp_rb_esyc?ie=UTF8&tags=conlangs>

- Sai

    Date: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:56 am ((PST))

It seems as though there are three categories of books
of interest, which we might want to distinguish instead of
grouping them all into one "conlangs" tag or into one
library...

1. Linguistics books of interest to conlangers (e.g. Describing Morphosyntax)
2. Books about conlangs (e.g. A Gateway to Sindarin)
3. Fiction in which one or more conlangs are used

and really, even,

3a. Fiction about conlangers and conlangs per se:
      e.g. The Languages of Pao
3b. Fiction in which the conlang is a natlang within its fictional world:
     e.g. The Lord of the Rings

What would be a better way of tagging or sub-tagging or
multi-tagging?  Maybe "conlangs + linguistics" for categ. 1,
and "conlangs + science fiction" or "conlangs + fantasy"
for category 3... but that doesn't make the 3a/3b distinction,
which might be more interesting to conlangers than the
usual fantasy/science fiction distinction.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry

2a. Re: Sonority hierarchy (was: Radical-Metathesis)
    Posted by: "Benct Philip Jonsson" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Date: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:52 am ((PST))

2008/2/11, Eldin Raigmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:13:36 +0100, Mr Veoler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
>  >[snip]
>
> >> This hierarchy also governs the relative frequency
>  >> of various sounds across vocabulary.
>  >Never heard about it. So consonants that are close to each
>  >other in salience generally have a similar frequency?
>

> I also hadn't heard that, and am also curious.

The *salience* hierarchy is a different hierarchy from the
sonority hierarchy, and has to do with which sounds are
acoustically more easily identifiable. I thought I had read about
it in Lass' "Phonology" or Maddieson's "Patterns of Sound",
but haven't had time to check yet.
--
/ BP