1a. Re: OT: Dvorak
    From: ROGER MILLS
1b. Re: OT: Dvorak
    From: Mark J. Reed
1c. Re: OT: Dvorak
    From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1d. Re: OT: Dvorak
    From: Mark J. Reed

1a. Re: OT: Dvorak
    Posted by: "ROGER MILLS" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Date: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:44 pm ((PDT))

Some have written:

>René Uittenbogaard writes:
> > 2008/7/23 Tristan McLeay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >>
> >> Heh, well, I use the Dvorak layout, so it's not really an option for me
> >
> > Which makes me curious... How many people are there on this list that
> > use Dvorak? I do.

I am curious: where does the name/term Dvorak come from? The famous composer
(and if so, why?) or someone else????

1b. Re: OT: Dvorak
    Posted by: "Mark J. Reed" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Date: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:02 pm ((PDT))

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM, ROGER MILLS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am curious: where does the name/term Dvorak come from? The famous composer
> (and if so, why?) or someone else????

Someone else.  Namely, the man who developed the eponymous keyboard
arrangement, Dr. August Dvorak - an American.  Note that his name and
that of the keyboard is /'dvO`r\&k/, with a regular AmEng /r\/, not ..
whatever the heck the CXS is for the Czech ř sound, or the Anglicized
approximation /rZ/.

--
Mark J. Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

1c. Re: OT: Dvorak
    Posted by: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Date: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:47 am ((PDT))

> >René Uittenbogaard writes:

> an option for me
> > >
> > > Which makes me curious... How many people are there on
> this list that
> > > use Dvorak? I do.

I tried it about 25+ years ago.  I'm in I.T. where I'm forced to
use a lot of different computers so Dvorak isn't practical for
me.  I really don't type fast enough for it to be a major
benefit anyway.  Only about 35-40 WPM.

1d. Re: OT: Dvorak
    Posted by: "Mark J. Reed" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Date: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:22 am ((PDT))

I'm in the same boat, except I type a tad faster than that on qwerty -
90+ wpm.  I'm kinda surprised your typing speed isn't higher, given
that you're in IT.  Just keeping up with my work email is plenty of
typing practice. :)