1a. Re: making an oral conlang
    From: Brett Williams
1b. Re: making an oral conlang
    From: Ben Scerri
1c. Re: making an oral conlang
    From: Philip Newton

2. Romance language forum (google-groups)
    From: Daniel Hollande

3a. Re: Future English Languages
    From: Richard Littauer
3b. Re: Future English Languages
    From: Ph.D.
3c. Re: Future English Languages
    From: Philip Newton
3d. Re: Future English Languages
    From: Karen Badham
3e. Re: Future English Languages
    From: Vincent Pistelli
3f. Re: Future English Languages
    From: Aidan Aannestad

4a. Re: OT Facebook False Friends
    From: Philip Newton

5.1. Re: False friends
    From: Adam Walker

1a. Re: making an oral conlang
    Posted by: "Brett Williams" mungoje...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:55 pm ((PDT))

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Gary Shannon <fizi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Back in the late 60's or early 70's a friend of mine and I went
> camping one weekend. He, being a philosophy grad student and me being
> a computer science grad student, we decided it would be fun to not
> speak a word of English during the whole trip, but to make up whatever
> language we needed as the need arose.
>
> Having no linguistics knowledge at the time, however, we quite
> predictably ending up relexing English to the tune a a hundred words
> or so, and depended heavily on grunting and pointing.

Hmm, I wonder if a CONLANG list camping trip would have a different
experience. :D

I think it would be simple enough to organize a group oral conlang
experiment online.  This is how I'd think of doing it: Everyone would
sign up for some social networking site that allows audio posts
(perhaps Tumblr, which even accepts short audio posts by telephone)
and then they'd just post recordings of themselves talking about the
new language.  Perhaps it could be agreed in advance what license the
audio would be under, such as Creative Commons, to facilitate
assembling compilations and summaries and lessons.  If you forgot the
history of the language you could just go back and listen to it again!

I have an unusual amount of free time in the near future, so I'd
actually be interested in the experiment if anyone else is game.

<3,
la stela selckiku
aka
mungojelly
aka
bret-ram
aka
veret'he
aka
brett

1b. Re: making an oral conlang
    Posted by: "Ben Scerri" psykieki...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:11 pm ((PDT))

That sounds very fun indeed, and I'd be interested (more so from the point
of view that it would be a great learning opportunity for me as to refine my
own linguistics skills by working with those more informed and trained in
the field).

On 21 August 2010 12:52, Brett Williams <mungoje...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Gary Shannon <fizi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Back in the late 60's or early 70's a friend of mine and I went
> > camping one weekend. He, being a philosophy grad student and me being
> > a computer science grad student, we decided it would be fun to not
> > speak a word of English during the whole trip, but to make up whatever
> > language we needed as the need arose.
> >
> > Having no linguistics knowledge at the time, however, we quite
> > predictably ending up relexing English to the tune a a hundred words
> > or so, and depended heavily on grunting and pointing.
>

> Hmm, I wonder if a CONLANG list camping trip would have a different
> experience. :D
>

> I think it would be simple enough to organize a group oral conlang
> experiment online.  This is how I'd think of doing it: Everyone would
> sign up for some social networking site that allows audio posts
> (perhaps Tumblr, which even accepts short audio posts by telephone)
> and then they'd just post recordings of themselves talking about the
> new language.  Perhaps it could be agreed in advance what license the
> audio would be under, such as Creative Commons, to facilitate
> assembling compilations and summaries and lessons.  If you forgot the
> history of the language you could just go back and listen to it again!
>
> I have an unusual amount of free time in the near future, so I'd
> actually be interested in the experiment if anyone else is game.
>
> <3,
> la stela selckiku
> aka
> mungojelly
> aka
> bret-ram
> aka
> veret'he
> aka
> brett

1c. Re: making an oral conlang
    Posted by: "Philip Newton" philip.new...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:00 am ((PDT))

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Brett Williams <mungoje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you forgot the
> history of the language you could just go back and listen to it again!

You say "just", but in my experience, random access to written
material is a lot quicker than random access to audio material --
perhaps because written material is usually presented
two-dimensionally (words along a line, lines down a page) and so it's
easier to take in large quantities of data when skimming or looking
for something in particular, whereas with audio material, it's
inherently one-dimensional, so it's harder to skim.

Also, you can skim written material pretty much at whatever speed you
want, whereas it's usually hard to control the speed at which
audio(visual) information is presented.

Cheers,
Philip
--

    Posted by: "Daniel Hollande" dkholla...@yahoo.com
    Date: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:50 pm ((PDT))

I am new to this mailing list, but no stranger to the
Hello everyone,

I am new to this mailing list, but no stranger to the concept. I am an
ex-Interlinguist, so I am used to the various mailing lists they have.

Several months ago I set up a Google-group Romance language forum, but I
haven't
had the time to plug it previously. That ends here.

I was wondering if there are any amongst you that have an interest in Romance
linguistics. Anyone would be welcome to take part there - whether that be to
help beginners improve their skills in the various Romances, to discuss aspects
about the languages, or if you have a particular penchant for constructed
Romance languages (naturalistic or not) you'd be most welcome to advance your
own Romance language of preference. We currently have only five members, so
please do sign up and participate if you're interested. We need the numbers!

Here's the link:
http://groups.google.com/group/forum-romances

I very much hope you all don't mind that I make a plug for yet another forum on
my first email here.

Greetings from England
Daniel

3a. Re: Future English Languages
    Posted by: "Richard Littauer" richard.litta...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 pm ((PDT))

I think it's a good idea. A lot of work has been done in world Englishes,
like Singlish or Guyanese English. I'm not sure where you would find
information on those, but if you could, I bet that they would be invaluable.
Also, remember that local american dialects are dying off, as far as I've
gathered, thanks to the media and the like. So, it'd be worth to think about
more than just local influences. Might as be worth considering the immigrant
populations for the various places where English changes: you'd end up with
a lot of variants on Spanglish, for instance.

    Posted by: "Ph.D." p...@phillipdriscoll.com
    Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:26 am ((PDT))

You might look at the Northern Cities Vowel Shift:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_cities_vowel_shift

    Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:45 am ((PDT))

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Vincent Pistelli <pva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently been thinking about the possible future descendants of the
> English language.

In case you're not aware of it: have a look at JBR's Futurese (
http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/futurese.html ), where he presents
a possible American English of 3000 AD.

Cheers,
Philip
--

    Posted by: "Karen Badham" ktbad...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:36 am ((PDT))

This thread reminds me of a recent XKCD comic.

http://xkcd.com/771/

-Karen Terry
http://anti-moliminous.blogspot.com/

3e. Re: Future English Languages
    Posted by: "Vincent Pistelli" pva...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:38 am ((PDT))

Also, remember that local american dialects are dying off, as far as I've
> gathered, thanks to the media and the like.

I'm not exactly trying to go for a probable result.  It's more to have fun
just creating the language from existing dialects of native english
speakers.  I have read quite a bit and things like Singlish, but I just
don't think it would be as fun to create a language based on that compared
to one based on my local dialect.  In Pittsburgh, there has been a sort of
revival of the dialect.  Just like there is language revival, there can be
dialect revival.  I suppose that could be used as maybe an alternative
history where the dialect was revived so well that it eventually split off
into its own language.

3f. Re: Future English Languages
    Posted by: "Aidan Aannestad" tolkien_fr...@aannestad.com
    Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:18 am ((PDT))

> Also, remember that local american dialects are dying off, as far as
> I've gathered, thanks to the media and the like.

I've heard that they're still diverging despite mass media.

I love playing around with ideas like this (it's fun to extrapolate from what
seem to be currently ongoing changes). It'd be a fun project to work on, though
I don't know much about the Pittsburgh-area dialect (I'm from Texas).

    Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:38 am ((PDT))

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Lee <waywardwre...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Facebook = evil

Now we need a conlang where /fesbuk/ means "evil" :)

ObConlang: does /fesbuk/ _vel sim_ mean anything in your conlang?

Cheers,
Philip
--

    Posted by: "Adam Walker" carra...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:19 am ((PDT))

I get that soapy taste, not from cilantro, but from habanero peppers.

Adam