1.1. Re: YAEUT : journal vs diary
    From: Jim Henry

2a. Re: A method of generating "flavored" words
    From: Jim Henry
2b. Re: A method of generating "flavored" words
    From: BPJ

3a. OT (and TECH): Annoyances
    From: Roger Mills
3b. Re: OT (and TECH): Annoyances
    From: Mechthild Czapp
3c. Re: OT (and TECH): Annoyances
    From: Gary Shannon
3d. Re: OT (and TECH): Annoyances
    From: Lee

1.1. Re: YAEUT : journal vs diary
    Posted by: "Jim Henry" jimhenry1...@gmail.com
    Date: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:42 am ((PDT))

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Gary Shannon <fizi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To my mind that public vs private distinction is the key difference
> between the two.

Eh, maybe.  I'd say that they have those default settings, but can be
overridden in any given context -- "public diary" and "private
journal" don't sound like a contradiction in terms, nor is the
adjective making a fundamental alteration of the sense of the head
noun as happens in "toy gun" or "counterfeit money".

As for the journal or diary or whatever that I mentioned earlier, -- I
think I said that  used to insist more strongly on the term "journal"
vs. "diary" than I do now.  The actual privacy of its contents have
diverged over time as I developed gjâ-zym-byn and started using it for
the diary/journal: I now normally use gzb for the entries I wouldn't
want to share, and English (or occasionally Esperanto) for entries I
wouldn't mind sharing; also, the entries in gzb have, I think, on
average more extremely private content than the English entries used
to have back when I was using exclusively English (from about
1988-1998).

> While one might find a "Journal of Theoretical
> Physics" in the library one would never find a "Diary of Theoretical
> Physics" except perhaps among the very private papers of a physicist.

I'd call this outright polysemy, not simply a stretching of the word's
meaning.  (And without making any guess about whether the "magazine"
sense is older or newer than the "diary" sense; either way, it seems
like two different senses rather than different nuances of one broad
sense.)

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/

    Date: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:56 am ((PDT))

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Arthaey Angosii <arth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, who has a good source of several different natlang wordlists? :)

This script, fed an etext in the target language, will produce a list
of unique words occurring in it.  It needs work to handle etexts in
UTF-8, but seems to handle Latin-1 fine.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my %words;

while ( <> ) {
    my @words_this_line = split m/[^a-zA-Z\x80-\xFF'-]/;
    foreach ( @words_this_line ) {
        s/^['-]+//;
        s/['-]+$//;
        $words{ $_ } = 1;
    }
}

foreach ( sort keys %words ) {
    print $_ . "\n";
}

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/

2b. Re: A method of generating "flavored" words
    Posted by: "BPJ" b...@melroch.se
    Date: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:53 am ((PDT))

2010-10-28 17:54, Jim Henry skrev:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Arthaey Angosii<arth...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Now, who has a good source of several different natlang wordlists? :)
>
> This script, fed an etext in the target language, will produce a list
> of unique words occurring in it.  It needs work to handle etexts in
> UTF-8, but seems to handle Latin-1 fine.

Changing it thus should do the UTF-8 trick,
at least on newer perl versions (>= 10.0),
provided the language doesn't use any
punctuation other than hyphen and apostrophe
as word characters:

## Begin UTF8-friendly version

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use warnings;                # For good measure!
use open qw/:utf8 :std/;

my %words;

while ( <> ) {
     my @words_this_line = split m/[^\pL\pM\x{2019}'-]/;
     foreach ( @words_this_line ) {
        s/^['-]+//;
        s/['-]+$//;
        $words{ $_ } = 1;
     }
}

foreach ( sort keys %words ) {
     print $_ . "\n";
}

## End UTF8-friendly version

/bpj

> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> use strict;
>
> my %words;
>
> while (<>  ) {
>      my @words_this_line = split m/[^a-zA-Z\x80-\xFF'-]/;
>      foreach ( @words_this_line ) {
>       s/^['-]+//;
>       s/['-]+$//;
>       $words{ $_ } = 1;
>      }
> }
>
> foreach ( sort keys %words ) {
>      print $_ . "\n";
> }

3a. OT (and TECH): Annoyances
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 am ((PDT))

A couple things:

1. When I go to sign in to certain private accounts (esp. a brokerage acct.) an
"instant sign in" box appears, with my user name and the user name of another
acct. I have access to. I assume if I used it it would automatically fill in
the user name and pw, which seems very unsecure. I have never used it and
always close it out, preferring to type in the user names and pws myself. But
the upshot is that anyone using my computer could also sign into those accounts
(and this has happened, though it didn't really matter in that case). The only
identification of the thing is "Abine"; when I searched for it in the comp. it
turned up in 3 folders (where I couldn't find it); it isn't listed in any of
the programs. I tried to use Add and Delete Programs, to uninstall it, but
couldn't find Abine in the list of programs.  Does anyone know what this is,
and how to get rid or it??

2. Today for the umpteenth time I got "updates" from Firefox, which installed
automatically. There's nothing there that I want or use (to my knowledge).
Every time I get these updates, they tell me that I MUST update Adobe Flash
Player. I go thru the procedure and I guess it updates the thing. But do I
really need to constantly update Adobe Flash Player? What is it anyway, and do
I really need it? I assume it may have to do with watching videos/UTube stuff
etc. which I rarely do.

3. Good ole Yahoo mail continues to send me List msgs. at random, sometimes as
old as a week. I gather from other peoples' complaints that this may be a
Listserv problem, but who knows?

Help, anyone?

End of complaints :-)))

3b. Re: OT (and TECH): Annoyances
    Posted by: "Mechthild Czapp" 0zu...@gmx.de
> 1. When I go to sign in to certain private accounts (esp. a brokerage
> acct.) an "instant sign in" box appears, with my user name and the user name
> of
> another acct. I have access to. I assume if I used it it would
> automatically fill in the user name and pw, which seems very unsecure. I have
> never
> used it and always close it out, preferring to type in the user names and pws
> myself. But the upshot is that anyone using my computer could also sign
> into those accounts (and this has happened, though it didn't really matter in
> that case). The only identification of the thing is "Abine"; when I
> searched for it in the comp. it turned up in 3 folders (where I couldn't find
> it); it isn't listed in any of the programs. I tried to use Add and Delete
> Programs, to uninstall it, but couldn't find Abine in the list of programs.
> Does anyone know what this is, and how to get rid or it??

Could this be a FF plugin which you or someone else installed?

> 2. Today for the umpteenth time I got "updates" from Firefox, which
> installed automatically. There's nothing there that I want or use (to my
> knowledge). Every time I get these updates, they tell me that I MUST update
> Adobe
> Flash Player. I go thru the procedure and I guess it updates the thing. But
> do I really need to constantly update Adobe Flash Player? What is it
> anyway, and do I really need it? I assume it may have to do with watching
> videos/UTube stuff etc. which I rarely do.

Yes, the Flash player is used mainly for 2 things: ads and youtube and similar
internet videos. It is buggy as windows ME in its early beta stages and has
various security issues which are constantly being fixed. You normally can do
without it, however, some IPA sites use flash for the sounds.

> 3. Good ole Yahoo mail continues to send me List msgs. at random,
> sometimes as old as a week. I gather from other peoples' complaints that this
> may
> be a Listserv problem, but who knows?

Yes, Yahoo! is wonky... I think the issues are only related to it and probably
relate to an anti-spam meassure called greylisting. I can't recommend anything
there except for the usual non-solution to get away from Yahoo (not to GMX
though, it is wonky in its own ways, which will never be fixed).
--
Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix'ta jilih, nka.

My life would be easy if it was not so hard!

GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 &euro;/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit

3c. Re: OT (and TECH): Annoyances
    Posted by: "Gary Shannon" fizi...@gmail.com
    Date: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:12 pm ((PDT))

In Firefox click on "Tools"  in the menu. Select "Options" ->
"Security", un-check "Remember passwords for sites".

--gary

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Roger Mills <romi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A couple things:
>
> 1. When I go to sign in to certain private accounts (esp. a brokerage acct.)
> an "instant sign in" box appears, with my user name and the user name of
> another acct. I have access to. I assume if I used it it would automatically
> fill in the user name and pw, which seems very unsecure. I have never used it
> and always close it out, preferring to type in the user names and pws myself.
> But the upshot is that anyone using my computer could also sign into those
> accounts (and this has happened, though it didn't really matter in that
> case). The only identification of the thing is "Abine"; when I searched for
> it in the comp. it turned up in 3 folders (where I couldn't find it); it
> isn't listed in any of the programs. I tried to use Add and Delete Programs,
> to uninstall it, but couldn't find Abine in the list of programs.  Does
> anyone know what this is, and how to get rid or it??
>
> 2. Today for the umpteenth time I got "updates" from Firefox, which installed
> automatically. There's nothing there that I want or use (to my knowledge).
> Every time I get these updates, they tell me that I MUST update Adobe Flash
> Player. I go thru the procedure and I guess it updates the thing. But do I
> really need to constantly update Adobe Flash Player? What is it anyway, and
> do I really need it? I assume it may have to do with watching videos/UTube
> stuff etc. which I rarely do.
>
> 3. Good ole Yahoo mail continues to send me List msgs. at random, sometimes
> as old as a week. I gather from other peoples' complaints that this may be a
> Listserv problem, but who knows?
>
> Help, anyone?
>
> End of complaints :-)))

3d. Re: OT (and TECH): Annoyances
    Posted by: "Lee" waywardwre...@yahoo.com
    Date: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:54 pm ((PDT))

> 1. When I go to sign in to certain private accounts (esp. a
> brokerage acct.) an "instant sign in" box appears, with my
> user name and the user name of another acct. I have access
> to. I assume if I used it it would automatically fill in the
> user name and pw, which seems very unsecure. I have never
> used it and always close it out, preferring to type in the
> user names and pws myself. But the upshot is that anyone
> using my computer could also sign into those accounts (and
> this has happened, though it didn't really matter in that
> case). The only identification of the thing is "Abine"; when
> I searched for it in the comp. it turned up in 3 folders
> (where I couldn't find it); it isn't listed in any of the
> programs. I tried to use Add and Delete Programs, to
> uninstall it, but couldn't find Abine in the list of
> programs.  Does anyone know what this is, and how to
> get rid or it??

Abine is some kind of "privacy protection" plugin. Check your add-ons in
Firefox: Tools menu | Add-ons.

> 2. Today for the umpteenth time I got "updates" from
> Firefox, which installed automatically. There's nothing
> there that I want or use (to my knowledge). Every time I get
> these updates, they tell me that I MUST update Adobe Flash
> Player. I go thru the procedure and I guess it updates the
> thing. But do I really need to constantly update Adobe Flash
> Player? What is it anyway, and do I really need it? I assume
> it may have to do with watching videos/UTube stuff etc.
> which I rarely do.

Something has hosed your FF install. Mozilla is not that prolific, and about
the only time I have to update Flash is when I am notified there is an update.
Updating Firefox rarely messes with that. You don't really need Flash, but a
lot of sites use it for video, ads, to make your life easier, or just because
some designer got a wild hair one day and couldn't control himself.

> 3. Good ole Yahoo mail continues to send me List msgs. at
> random, sometimes as old as a week. I gather from other
> peoples' complaints that this may be a Listserv problem, but
> who knows?
>
> Help, anyone?
>
> End of complaints :-)))

This sounds more like you are subscribed to the conlang Y! group (that to this
day I don't understand how is mirroring the list without actively being fed,
but whatever...). As you can see I use Y! Mail, and I do not have anything at
all like this problem. I'm also using the old interface.

I do, however, experience significant message delivery delays receiving from
the list. My cheezy hack for that is that I am double-subscribed to the list
with another mail account that I generally don't use for sending mail. The
other account auto-forwards list messages to my Y! Mail account, yielding the
speed non Y! Mailers enjoy. I do eventually end up with duplicates in my
mailbox, but it gives me an idea of how horribly slow the "direct" route is.

Lee