1a. Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang
    From: Gary Shannon
1b. Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang
    From: Gary Shannon
1c. Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang
    From: Ph.D.
1d. Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang
    From: Gary Shannon
1e. Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang
    From: Peter Bleackley

2a. Re: Naming Language for NaNoWriMo: Phonology & Orthography
    From: Arthaey Angosii

3a. Incorporating Romlang setting idea
    From: Peter Bleackley
3b. Re: Incorporating Romlang setting idea
    From: Douglas Koller
3c. Re: Incorporating Romlang setting idea
    From: Eugene Oh

4. Fw: Help CONLANG movie get distribution!
    From: Ph.D.

5. What kind of minimal pairs are most problematic?
    From: Matthew Martin

1a. Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang
    Posted by: "Gary Shannon" fizi...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Nov 1, 2010 10:30 am ((PDT))

Since all of my previous conlangs (with the exception of a reverse
Polish experiment) have been SVO, my first executive decision in
creating my new, unamed 30-day conlang is that it will have VOS word
order so that I won't be tempted to borrow from any of my older
grammars.

In fact, after playing with English glosses I settled on this basic
sentence structure:

VPOTS

V = verb, only exists in the present tense
P = zero or more prepositional phrases
O = optional direct object (if verb is transitive)
T = tense modifying aux/particle
S = subject

So there would English glosses like:

Give to Mary the book did John.
Climb the tree will my cat.
Run has-been-doing the dog.

I will update my website later today with a translation of the first
few sentences (75 words worth) and the complete lexicon once I get
that far.

--gary
http://fiziwig.com/conlang/thirty_day.html

    Date: Mon Nov 1, 2010 2:24 pm ((PDT))

FWIW: The first day's translation is done:

Miro kinta ka'anui susa ne ban khanu, kho byano matawika luyatu ne
ka'anui opa hali. Dota edo mapona sofalia yamu a majamosa lela mapona
amalu ia raharu ne hali. Vago rabasui muza ka'anui dona hali, kho edo
jamosa xumbia hake dona maya. Bosio kiza futanui dona hali a bosio
hayatui opa dozan pelu, luken pelu, a uradu ai sopekui dona maya. Edo
tepira dekaru dona piata wakiri a xunga dumuru ai piata kuzia sumpi.

These people also were cave-dwellers, but their caves showed the
result of a higher intelligence that brought them a step nearer to
civilized man than the tribe next "toward the beginning." The
interiors of their caverns were cleared of rubbish, though still far
from clean, and they had pallets of dried grasses covered with the
skins of leopard, lynx, and bear, while before the entrances were
barriers of stone and small, rudely circular stone ovens.

There are interlinears and a complete English-to-X and X-to-English
lexicon on my web page: http://fiziwig.com/conlang/thirty_day.html

--gary

1c. Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang
    Posted by: "Ph.D." p...@phillipdriscoll.com
    Date: Mon Nov 1, 2010 6:23 pm ((PDT))

Gary,

I like the start of your new conlang, but I never thought
you'd ever use terminology like "that 'kh' is a voiceless
velar or possibly uvular fricative."  :-)

--Ph. D.

    Date: Mon Nov 1, 2010 6:41 pm ((PDT))

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Ph.D. <p...@phillipdriscoll.com> wrote:
> Gary,
> I like the start of your new conlang, but I never thought
> you'd ever use terminology like "that 'kh' is a voiceless velar or possibly
> uvular fricative."  :-)
>
> --Ph. D.

LOL! Just to prove that sometimes an old dog CAN learn new tricks. :)
Besides, I needed a way to describe the sound I was making while
saying the word, so I figured I might as well learn the correct
terminology.

--gary

1e. Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang
    Posted by: "Peter Bleackley" peter.bleack...@rd.bbc.co.uk
    Date: Tue Nov 2, 2010 1:07 am ((PDT))

staving Gary Shannon:
> Since all of my previous conlangs (with the exception of a reverse
> Polish experiment) have been SVO, my first executive decision in
> creating my new, unamed 30-day conlang is that it will have VOS word
> order so that I won't be tempted to borrow from any of my older
> grammars.
>
> In fact, after playing with English glosses I settled on this basic
> sentence structure:
>
> VPOTS
>
> V = verb, only exists in the present tense
> P = zero or more prepositional phrases
> O = optional direct object (if verb is transitive)
> T = tense modifying aux/particle
> S = subject
>
> So there would English glosses like:
>
> Give to Mary the book did John.
> Climb the tree will my cat.
> Run has-been-doing the dog.

Sounds like Yoda, it does.

Pete

2a. Re: Naming Language for NaNoWriMo: Phonology & Orthography
    Posted by: "Arthaey Angosii" arth...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Nov 1, 2010 4:14 pm ((PDT))

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM, neo gu <qiihos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> are you *sure* you want to use that phonology and orthography for
> NaNo? Looks like lots of opportunities for typos!

That's very true. I still like the orthography; "Işèna" makes me
happier than "Ishenna" (although I could type the latter and
search/replace it into the former at the end of the month...).

--
AA

    Date: Tue Nov 2, 2010 2:04 am ((PDT))

My "Latin by the Road Less Travelled" idea seems to be heading towards
some type of marked nominative system at the moment, which has given me
an idea for the setting and conhistory.

Some time during the Second Triumvirate, a Roman merchant ship
returnining to Egypt from India was blown off course by a storm and
ended up wrecked somewhere on the coast of Ethiopia. The ship was too
badly damaged to repair, and they had no idea how far from
"civilisation" they were, so they bartered what they could salvage from
their cargo for the things they needed to set up their own colony
(including contunerbales).

Any comments?

3b. Re: Incorporating Romlang setting idea
    Posted by: "Douglas Koller" lao...@comcast.net
Some time during the Second Triumvirate, a Roman merchant ship
returnining to Egypt from India was blown off course by a storm and
ended up wrecked somewhere on the coast of Ethiopia. The ship was too
badly damaged to repair, and they had no idea how far from
"civilisation" they were, so they bartered what they could salvage from
their cargo for the things they needed to set up their own colony
(including contunerbales).

Any comments?

They bartered a shiny bauble for the "z" in "civilization". ;D

Kou

3c. Re: Incorporating Romlang setting idea
    Posted by: "Eugene Oh" un.do...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Nov 2, 2010 3:03 am ((PDT))

My first thought was: you'd have to drastically improve the naval technology
of the times to make their failed trip possible in the first place…