1a. Re: Ejective distributions
    From: Matthew Boutilier

2. 30-Day Conlang: Day Eight
    From: Gary Shannon

3a. The Fantastical Devices of Pete the Mad Scientist
    From: Peter Bleackley
3b. Re: The Fantastical Devices of Pete the Mad Scientist
    From: Jim Henry

1a. Re: Ejective distributions
    Posted by: "Matthew Boutilier" mbout...@nd.edu
    Date: Mon Nov 8, 2010 11:36 am ((PST))

whoa!!  this is fantastically interesting.  thank you both for the
disillusionment.

matt

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM, David McCann <da...@polymathy.plus.com>wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 21:20 -0500, Matthew Boutilier wrote:
>
> > really?  hmm, interesting, i hadn't heard about that.  as far as i know,
> > neither /ts/ nor /dz/ is reconstructed in proto-semitic.  out of
> curiosity,
> > do you have a source for this that i can check out?
>
> The reconstruction of ProtoSemitic was done in the 19th century on the
> basis of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic. Study of the South Semitic
> languages, and of the AfroAsiatic languages, shows that the original
> reconstruction had the right number of phonemes but the wrong values:
> e.g. /š s ś/ for /s c ɬ/. A good source is the Cambridge Encyclopedia of
> the World's Ancient Languages. Most Semiticists keep the old
> transcription, on the grounds that otherwise when someone wrote "s"
> they'd be wondering if they were a modernist and meant the old "š" or a
> traditionalist and meant the new "c"! AfroAsiatic studies seems to use
> the new version, just to make life more interesting.

2. 30-Day Conlang: Day Eight
    Posted by: "Gary Shannon" fizi...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Nov 8, 2010 12:42 pm ((PST))

On day eight I have 895 words out of 2198, or 41% of the original text
translated.
The dictionary now contains 251 conlang words and 548 English words.

http://fiziwig.com/conlang/thirty_day.html

I've streamlined the process of creating new words. I am taking some
inspiration from a Pali dictionary to give me a starting point, then
toss out the vowels and I fool around with the consonants until I get
something that fits my morphology. For example, "hand" is Pali: (m)
hattha; bhuja; kara; sahayakammakara (f) disa

So I picked "kara" from that list and fiddled with it a bit until it
became "akalu", which is different enough from the Pali to be
original, yet still somewhat inspired by the Pali, so that I don't
have to stare at a blank wall each time I need a new word. I guess
this method might tend to give my lexicon a slightly Indo-European
flavor.

--gary

3a. The Fantastical Devices of Pete the Mad Scientist
    Posted by: "Peter Bleackley" peter.bleack...@rd.bbc.co.uk
    Date: Tue Nov 9, 2010 5:39 am ((PST))

I've just started a blog with the above title at
http://fantasticaldevices/wordpress.com

It's not all about conlanging, but any posts about conlangs will be
tagged as such. I've just put up a post about Latin By The Road Less
Travelled.

Pete

3b. Re: The Fantastical Devices of Pete the Mad Scientist
    Posted by: "Jim Henry" jimhenry1...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Nov 9, 2010 6:41 am ((PST))

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Peter Bleackley
<peter.bleack...@rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just started a blog with the above title at
> http://fantasticaldevices/wordpress.com

Should be:
 http://fantasticaldevices.wordpress.com/

--