1a. Re: Assyrian dictionary now free online (UChicago)
    From: Matthew Martin
1b. Re: Assyrian dictionary now free online (UChicago)
    From: Matthew Boutilier

2a. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: Nikolay Ivankov
2b. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: R A Brown
2c. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: Jörg Rhiemeier
2d. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: Michael Everson
2e. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: Roman Rausch
2f. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: Matthew Martin
2g. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: R A Brown
2h. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: R A Brown
2i. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: Michael Everson
2j. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: Matthew Martin
2k. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: R A Brown
2l. Re: Top Ten Invented Languages
    From: Michael Everson

3a. cuneiform (was: Assyrian dictionary now free online (UChicago))
    From: R A Brown
3b. Re: cuneiform (was: Assyrian dictionary now free online (UChicago))
    From: Alex Fink

1a. Re: Assyrian dictionary now free online (UChicago)
    Posted by: "Matthew Martin" matthewdeanmar...@gmail.com
    Date: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:24 am ((PDT))

Don't forget apriori cuneiform. If I ever get around to it, I plan to design a
cuneiform that is suitable for writing toki pona with chopsticks on slabs of
mashed
potatoes.

Fonts and Typing tools
http://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/cuneifont/
http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/nepsd-frame.html

Last time I considered using Sumarian, I gave up because the # of symbols
seemed too high. I've heard that at any one time, a much smaller number were in
use. So it may not be as laborious as learning/using ideograms.

Matthew Martin

1b. Re: Assyrian dictionary now free online (UChicago)
    Posted by: "Matthew Boutilier" mbout...@nd.edu
    Date: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 am ((PDT))

> Does it work like a normal logographic system -because I'm considereing the
> creation of a daughter (con)script.

i don't know exactly what you mean by "normal"...sumerian is the only
language for which cuneiform works remotely logographically.  there are many
signs that together in themselves consist a single word or concept.  on top
of that, signs can represent incomplete words or syllables or morphemes or
whatever.  there are also determinatives that would not have factored into
the spoken message at all, e.g. the DINGIR sign that precedes divine names
and is usually transcribed with superscript "d."

note that for akkadian (babylonian/assyrian) and to the best of my knowledge
hittite, the cuneiform script is strictly a syllabary.  in old persian it
even approaches alphabetical status.  but i assume you're most interested in
sumerian owing to the logographic nature in your question.

unfortunately as far as sumerian i don't know of too many online resources
for learning the *script*.  there's the (electronic) pennsylvania sumerian
dictionary:
http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/nepsd-frame.html
as well as the electronic text corpus of sumerian literature:
www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk/
that might interest you, but as per the sumerian usages of the signs
themselves i can only recommend "a manual of sumerian grammar and texts" by
john hayes, not much good online.

for akkadian, john huehnergard's "akkadian grammar" is pricey but totally
unrivaled.  but online you can actually get a good headstart with the *
akkadian* (i.e. syllabary) adaptation of cuneiform with the following
website:
http://knp.prs.heacademy.ac.uk/cuneiformrevealed/

and if you want to see the continuation into old persian, harvard has put
the following invaluable primer up:
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~iranian/OldPersian/index.html
which will fully immerse you in the old persian (again, necessarily
non-logographic) application of cuneiform.

matt

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Matthew Martin <matthewdeanmar...@gmail.com

    Posted by: "Nikolay Ivankov" lukevil...@gmail.com