1a. Re: New language universal!
    From: Jörg Rhiemeier
    From: Nikolay Ivankov
    From: John Erickson

    From: Adam Walker
    From: Tony Harris
    From: MorphemeAddict
    From: Roger Mills
    From: Roger Mills
    From: J. Snow
    From: Matthew Boutilier
2h. Re: Number Creation
    From: Padraic Brown
2i. Re: Number Creation
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
2j. Re: Number Creation
    From: yuri

3a. Re: OT:Shameless self-promotion
    From: MorphemeAddict

4a. Re: Madeline Palmer's Draconic Language (Fiat Lingua)
    From: MorphemeAddict

5a. Re: a tale of two vowels
    From: Matthew Boutilier
5b. Re: a tale of two vowels
    From: Daniel Prohaska

6.1. Re: Curious verb construction
    From: Logan Kearsley

7. Conlanging Seminar @ Swarthmore
    From: Leland Kusmer

8. Preaspiration Notation
    From: Brian

9a. No Songs To Sing
    From: J. Snow
9b. Re: No Songs To Sing
    From: MorphemeAddict
9c. Re: No Songs To Sing
    From: psykieki...@gmail.com
9d. Re: No Songs To Sing
    From: Roger Mills
9e. Re: No Songs To Sing
    From: Charles W Brickner

1a. Re: New language universal!
    Posted by: "Jörg Rhiemeier" joerg_rhieme...@web.de
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 7:03 am ((PST))

Hallo conlangers!

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 21:09:36 -0800 David Peterson wrote:

> [...]
>
> Anyway, the thrust of your e-mail seems to be this:
>
> On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Alex Fink wrote:
>
> > It's funny how the reaction that the word "universal" engenders for a
> > large
> > segment of the membership here is "nosirree Bob!  no-one can tell _me_
> > what
> > to do!"  In contrast talk of "naturalism" doesn't seem to do that.  But
> > what
> > are universals but statements of certain combinations of properties that,
> > empirically (at least for the good ones), go against naturalism?
>
> Absent of a historical explanation, a linguistic universal is nothing
> but "lorem ipsum" for a conlanger—or at least for one working on a
> naturalistic conlang. It's something like coming up with a list of
> common motifs in American novels. It might be interesting to someone
> studying American novels, but of what use is it to an American novelist?
> If the novelist is doing good work, whether or not what they're doing
> matches an observable pattern is immaterial. Conversely, a novelist
> doing bad work isn't going to improve the quality of their novel by
> having it match up as nearly as possible with a list of properties
> common to novels in his/her genre.

Very much so.  Proposed linguistic universals can be used as a
guideline what is likely to occur in a language and what not,
and violating too many of them in a language that purports to be
naturalistic is a sign that you are probably doing something wrong;
but they are not laws that may not be broken at any cost.  With
most proposed universals, counterexamples have been found; and what
regards this particular case, the data base is strongly skewed
towards European languages, and there may well be cluster of
languages with 'need' but not 'have' hiding somewhere in New
Guinea or wherever.

> In short, caring one way or another about a linguistic universal is
> likely indicative of a flawed methodology, when it comes to creating
> a naturalistic language. (Well, unless your criterion for naturalism
> is, "How well does this match up with the list of linguistic universals
> linguists have named...?")

Yes.  I once was censured for breaking a "universal" in a conlang;
it soon turned out that there was a natlang that broke that very
"universal" and pretty much did what I did in my conlang, and not
one that was particularly hard to find.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
"Bêsel asa Êm, a Êm atha cvanthal a cvanth atha Êmel." - SiM 1:1

1b. Re: New language universal!
    Posted by: "Nikolay Ivankov" lukevil...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 8:54 am ((PST))

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:02 AM, taliesin the storyteller <
taliesin-conl...@nvg.org> wrote:

> In the January 2012 issue of Linguistic Inquiry there's an interesting
> (free!) paper titled "Having 'Need' and Needing 'Have'" by Stephanie Harves
> and Richard S. Kayne.
>
> Their claim:
>
> If you have a transitive verb for "need", you also have a transitive verb
> for "have".
>
> They divide the world's languages into 1) those with and those without a
> transitive verb for "need" and 2)  those with and those without a
> transitive verb for "have". It turns out that there are languages who have
> a transitive verb for "have" that lack a transitive verb for "need", but
> not the other way around.
>
> The paper is short and not very hard to read:
>
> http://www.mitpressjournals.**org/doi/pdf/10.1162/LING_a_**00076<http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/LING_a_00076>
>

> t.

I'm not really convinced with the arguments about Russian. For Russian does
have a transitive "have" verb "imet'", though, of course, in most cases the
intransitive construction is used.

1c. Re: New language universal!
    Posted by: "John Erickson" john.erickson.so...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 1:35 pm ((PST))

Isn't part of the fun of conlanging experimenting with unusual grammar anyway?
Not that this particular variation is all THAT interesting, but in general, I
mean.

2a. Re: Number Creation
    Posted by: "Adam Walker" carra...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 7:04 am ((PST))

I d say 1, 5 and 8 are from Indonesian or another MP lang. And 3, 4,
7, 10 and 11 and definitely IE, while 2 and 9 probably are but have
strange final consonants. But 6 and 12 elude me. Adam

On 2/4/12, yuri <yur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 February 2012 20:12, Matthew Turnbull wrote:
>> Whatever you come up with! Some people make them up, some
>> people base them off other words in the language. Sometimes they
>> follow a pattern sometimes they don't.
>
> sāt, dūŋ, drī, kwat, lyīm, on, ŝab, lap, ŋāt, teX, lef, zūf
>
> Some of the above have IE roots (see if you can recognise them).
> Some are heavily mutilated borrowings from non-IE languages.
>
> Feel free to borrow them if you hit a mental block trying to coin your own.
>
> Yuri

2b. Re: Number Creation
    Posted by: "Tony Harris" t...@alurhsa.org
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 7:54 am ((PST))

Another a priori example (Alurhsa):

dwi, sílá, lhúvá, elká, ksònye, zílyev, nestá, zlúr, vlórhye, delsá

No intentional borrowing from anything (although delsá might look like
it and could be a semi-conscious borrowing from IE languages).  The
system goes on with simplified suffixes on delsá for the teens, and
prefixes for the tens (delsád, delsás, delsálh... sedelsá, lhúdelsá,
eldelsá...), and has numbers for each power of 10 (delsá, delselká,
denelsá, deçálá, dóvírá, dóvenyá, etc.) instead of going tens, hundreds,
thousands, ten-thousands, hundred-thousands, millions, etc.  Just a
different take on how to count in big numbers.

And you can do things like come up with primitive words, then morph them
into what a daughter/granddaughter language (in this case Tariatta)
might have:

ti, si, lu, aka, oni, sal, sua, ur, lori, addi

And then we have another unrelated a priori language (Ku Tal):

mesh, naz, vud, mak, sosh, paz, yot, zan

Ku Tal is base 8, not base 10, so our decimal 9 and 10 would (probably)
be zan mesh and zan naz respectively.  I haven't actually developed Ku
Tal all that much, so that might not be "correct".

So you can see, numbers can be pretty much whatever comes to mind.  What
I try to do when coming up with any new words, phrases, etc. where I'm
unsure how to proceed is to close my eyes, sit back, and imagine a group
of native speakers of my language sitting around a
table/campfire/whatever and just chatting about the subject I need a
word for, and see what "feels" right for how they would say it.  Or if
you're really into that method, "ask" them how they would say it.
Hardly scientific, but it works for me.

On 02/04/2012 02:12 AM, Matthew Turnbull wrote:
> Whatever you come up with! Some people make them up, some people base
> them off other words in the language. Sometimes they follow a pattern
> sometimes they don't.
>
> On 2/4/12, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews<goldyemo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Any creation rules?
>> Nicole Andrews
>>
>> Pen name Mellissa Green
>> Budding novelist

2c. Re: Number Creation
    Posted by: "MorphemeAddict" lytl...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 8:23 am ((PST))

For Splat (formerly Zbansut) I created 12 arbitrary CV morphemes for 1..10,
100, 1000. Some were unusual, but I've come to like them for that reason.
ɣa ŋo ni fa ke la si bu že do θu me

stevo

2d. Re: Number Creation
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 10:02 am ((PST))

From: Adam Walker <carra...@gmail.com>

I d say 1, 5 and 8 are from Indonesian or another MP lang.

RM agree on 1,5, also 6 (*@n@m, > ono in Polynesia IIRC); it took me a while to
figure out 8-- aha, Indonesian. delapan !!

Adam: And 3, 4, 7, 10 and 11 and definitely IE, while 2 and 9 probably are but
have
strange final consonants. But 6 and 12 elude me. Adam

RM agreed; re 6 see above; 2 could be IE/Sanskrit? or MP (both with odd
finals); 9 could be a truncation of Javanese etc. (MP) saNa + new final.

The Kash numbers mesa l, ro 2, ha 4, nim 5, fanu 8, sana 9 are all based on
various Indonesian regional languages :-)

On 2/4/12, yuri <yur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sāt, dūŋ, drī, kwat, lyīm, on, ŝab, lap, ŋāt, teX, lef, zūf
>
> Some of the above have IE roots (see if you can recognise them).
> Some are heavily mutilated borrowings from non-IE languages.
>
> Feel free to borrow them if you hit a mental block trying to coin your own.
>
> Yuri

Adam: And 3, 4, 7, 10 and 11 and definitely IE, while 2 and 9 probably are but
have
strange final consonants. But 6 and 12 elude me. Adam

new RM: come to think of it; 11 is IE but Germanic (isn't it _elf_ in some
lang.? or even < Eng. eleven); and zu:f could be a smush of German zwolf?

2f. Re: Number Creation
    Posted by: "J. Snow" sonarsn...@live.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 10:38 am ((PST))

In Sironu, I based the numbers  0-10 off of English and built nearly the entire
system
off of that.

zo, on, du, ri, fo, fa, si, s�, et, na, t�n.

from 10 it goes: ont�n, dut�n, rit�n, fot�n, fat�n, etc., then 20, 25, 30, 40,
50
etc. go tendu, tendu-fa, tenri, tenfo, tenfa...

I'm curious to see what other kinds of number systems people come up with.

2g. Re: Number Creation
    Posted by: "Matthew Boutilier" bvticvlar...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 10:45 am ((PST))

> new RM: come to think of it; 11 is IE but Germanic (isn't it _elf_ in some
> lang.? or even < Eng. eleven); and zu:f could be a smush of German zwolf?

yeah, "lef zūf" are reminiscent of "elf zwölf"...

ŝab for 7 could conceivably be akin to semitic...arabic *sab*ʿ*a*, akkadian
*sebe*, hebrew *sheva**ʿ* ...
... were it not already speculated that *indo-european* stole this number!
(or the other way around.)

basically, nicole, you can call numbers whatever you want (there are no
rules), and even if you're concerned about the diachronic plausibility of
your language (which, believe me, not everybody is), the number-words are
often the most ancient and inviolate lexemes in a language, and in
naturally evolving languages the case is not particularly common that a
number-word (especially small numbers) can convincingly be shown to have
been derived from another non-number word.

but if it's originality you're looking for, and you don't want to just
throw a bunch of made-up syllables at numbers 1 through 10, you may
consider exploring non-decimal number systems. a conworld where the main
sentient species has six fingers instead of ten would not be expected to go
...8, 9, 10, 11, ... but perhaps something like ...4, 5, 6, 11... or ...4,
5, 10, 11... (depending on what your species thinks of zero, i guess).

one more thing to think about is how, if at all (and they don't have to),
numbers can change depending on what you're using them for. in arabic for
instance you say *'arba**ʿ* for 4 of a feminine thing and *'arba*ʿ*a(h*) for
4 of a masculine thing. in older englishes, "twain" meant 2 for a masculine
thing but "two" meant 2 for a feminine or neuter thing (in old english, *
twēgen* and *twā* respectively). also consider devising how to say things
like 2nd, 3rd, 10th ... 1/2, 1/4, etc.

wesaþ hāle
matt

    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 3:37 pm ((PST))

--- On Sat, 2/4/12, J. Snow <sonarsn...@live.com> wrote:

> In Sironu, I based the numbers
> 0-10 off of English and built nearly the entire system
> off of that.
>
> zo, on, du, ri, fo, fa, si, sé, et, na, tén.
>
> from 10 it goes: ontén, dutén, ritén, fotén, fatén,
> etc., then 20, 25, 30, 40, 50
> etc. go tendu, tendu-fa, tenri, tenfo, tenfa...
>
> I'm curious to see what other kinds of number systems people
> come up with.

Talarian:

Ordinary counting numbers are base twelve: 0, safra, tlaram; 1, çatla; 2,
rilo; 3, hohoc; 4, limtellor; 5, pamtra; 6, rimtelloc; 7, matellor; 8,
pretellor; 9, amtelloc; 10, rapamtra; 11, hacra; 12, himtroc; 13, çatla-wa-
himtroc; 14, rilo-wa-himtroc; etc. Multiples of twelve are: 24, rintroc;
36, hotroc; 48, limtroc; 60, pamtroc; 72, rimtroc; 84, matroc; 96,
partroc; 108, hamtroc; 120, rapamtroc; 144, maharaç; 1728, sahaçram.

In mathematics and philosophy numbers are base ten:  1, ecas (C.), ecar
(N.); 2, twwo; 3, trayas (C.), trayan (N.); 4, cattâror; 5, pamtras; 6,
ççaç; 7, saptas; 8, açtor; 9, nâfa; 10, lâsa; 100, satem.

The ordinary numbers are borrowed from an entirely different language
family, though I'm not sure which one, while the mathematical numbers are
borrowed from some Sanskrit influenced language along the Indo-Buddho /
Judeo-Helladic corridor of the Silk Road countries.

The ordinary numbers seem to show some odd patterns: 4, 7 & 8 all share the
component -tellor; 10 seems to be a compound of 2x5.

The only number native to Talarian is sam- (half), and though it can serve
as a number, it is usually found in compounds (e.g., samwasas = ill, "half-
healthy").

Some philologers aver that pamtra is also native, based on its
correspondence with Rumnian (pompe) and Theotish (fomf, fyyfe, etc), but it
is actually part of that other language's numbers.

Mentolatian:

1, syam; 2, du; 3, der; 4, quadur; 5, punc; 6, sano; 7, saffo; 8, oggun;
9, novun; 10, dus. I think fairly straight forward Aryan derivation.

Anian:

1, ptang; 2, utrap; 3, mraram; 4, csar; 5, ptemsa; 6, hhnac; 7, rsanam;
8, utcsar; 9, ibmrel; 10, prangsa; 11, herhem; 12, mracsar.

Loucarian:

0, sifra; 1, êwas; 2, douo; 3, trais; 4, tethris; 5, pumpe; 6, hescis; 7,
heptis; 8, octo; 9, nawis; 10, dessas; 100, heccaton; 1000, milia; 10000,
muriadis. An interesting note here: cardinal numbers are notated using a
form of Indic figures; ordinal numbers are notated using Greek letters.

Paging Janko Gorenc!!

Padraic

2i. Re: Number Creation
    Posted by: "Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews" goldyemo...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 4:09 pm ((PST))

Hi guys, this great info. Thanks.
Nicole Andrews

Pen name Mellissa Green
Budding novelist

>> 0-10 off of English and built nearly the entire system
>> off of that.
>>
>> zo, on, du, ri, fo, fa, si, sé, et, na, tén.
>>
>> from 10 it goes: ontén, dutén, ritén, fotén, fatén,
>> etc., then 20, 25, 30, 40, 50
>> etc. go tendu, tendu-fa, tenri, tenfo, tenfa...
>>
>> I'm curious to see what other kinds of number systems people
>> come up with.
>
> Talarian:
>
> Ordinary counting numbers are base twelve: 0, safra, tlaram; 1, çatla; 2,
> rilo; 3, hohoc; 4, limtellor; 5, pamtra; 6, rimtelloc; 7, matellor; 8,
> pretellor; 9, amtelloc; 10, rapamtra; 11, hacra; 12, himtroc; 13,
> çatla-wa-
> himtroc; 14, rilo-wa-himtroc; etc. Multiples of twelve are: 24, rintroc;
> 36, hotroc; 48, limtroc; 60, pamtroc; 72, rimtroc; 84, matroc; 96,
> partroc; 108, hamtroc; 120, rapamtroc; 144, maharaç; 1728, sahaçram.
>
> In mathematics and philosophy numbers are base ten:  1, ecas (C.), ecar
> (N.); 2, twwo; 3, trayas (C.), trayan (N.); 4, cattâror; 5, pamtras; 6,
> ççaç; 7, saptas; 8, açtor; 9, nâfa; 10, lâsa; 100, satem.
>
> The ordinary numbers are borrowed from an entirely different language
> family, though I'm not sure which one, while the mathematical numbers are
> borrowed from some Sanskrit influenced language along the Indo-Buddho /
> Judeo-Helladic corridor of the Silk Road countries.
>
> The ordinary numbers seem to show some odd patterns: 4, 7 & 8 all share
> the
> component -tellor; 10 seems to be a compound of 2x5.
>
> The only number native to Talarian is sam- (half), and though it can serve
> as a number, it is usually found in compounds (e.g., samwasas = ill,
> "half-
> healthy").
>
> Some philologers aver that pamtra is also native, based on its
> correspondence with Rumnian (pompe) and Theotish (fomf, fyyfe, etc), but
> it
> is actually part of that other language's numbers.
>
> Mentolatian:
>
> 1, syam; 2, du; 3, der; 4, quadur; 5, punc; 6, sano; 7, saffo; 8, oggun;
> 9, novun; 10, dus. I think fairly straight forward Aryan derivation.
>
> Anian:
>
> 1, ptang; 2, utrap; 3, mraram; 4, csar; 5, ptemsa; 6, hhnac; 7, rsanam;
> 8, utcsar; 9, ibmrel; 10, prangsa; 11, herhem; 12, mracsar.
>
> Loucarian:
>
> 0, sifra; 1, êwas; 2, douo; 3, trais; 4, tethris; 5, pumpe; 6, hescis; 7,
> heptis; 8, octo; 9, nawis; 10, dessas; 100, heccaton; 1000, milia; 10000,
> muriadis. An interesting note here: cardinal numbers are notated using a
> form of Indic figures; ordinal numbers are notated using Greek letters.
>
> Paging Janko Gorenc!!
>
> Padraic

2j. Re: Number Creation
    Posted by: "yuri" yur...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 9:37 pm ((PST))

On 5 February 2012 07:45, Matthew Boutilier wrote:

>> new RM: come to think of it; 11 is IE but Germanic (isn't it _elf_ in some
>> lang.? or even < Eng. eleven); and zu:f could be a smush of German zwolf?
>>

> yeah, "lef zūf" are reminiscent of "elf zwölf"...
>
> ŝab for 7 could conceivably be akin to semitic...arabic *sab*ʿ*a*, akkadian
> *sebe*, hebrew *sheva**ʿ* ...
> ... were it not already speculated that *indo-european* stole this number!
> (or the other way around.)

Matt, Adam and RM have got it sorted.
sāt - from Indonesian satu
dūŋ - from both IE and Indonesian dua. I felt like throwing ŋ on the end.
drī - IE
kwat - IE
lyīm - from MP lima
on - from Māori ono
ŝab - semitic (I was think about shabbat)
lap - from delapan
ŋāt - IE with the initial n morphed into a ŋ and a t thrown on the end.
teX - IE with the final k turn into a kh because I like gutteral sounds.
lef - IE (germanic)
zūf - a germanic munge because it felt good.

An interesting coincidence about sāt and ŋāt:
The stem of a verb, followed by -āt gives the word for a doer of that
verb, like -er in english (teach, teacher; employ, employer; etc)
and s- is the stem for the verb to be, so sāt as well as meaning one
can also mean "be-er" or "that which is" so the concept of unity is
bound up with the concept of being - and this was all by accident.

I had named the numbers first, and much later, having forgotten the
names of the numbers, made -āt the equivalent to english -er.
Funny how things work out.

Yuri

    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 8:30 am ((PST))

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Adam Walker <carra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This message includes no conlang-rlated material, only the injunction that
> you go buy a copy of the March issue of Asimov's and celebrate with me the
> contents of p. 79, my first published fiction.
>
> Adam who is still floating

Congratulations!

I bought the magazine as enjoined, which I would not have done otherwise.

I'm not much of a poetry reader, so on the content I can't really say much.
I'm not even sure I liked it.

I can say that finding two and a half typos in so few lines was
disappointing.

But hey! You got published!

stevo

    Date: Sat Feb 4, 2012 8:34 am ((PST))

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Billy JB <ad...@caudimordax.org> wrote:

> Oh god, I want more! I just found some free time to look through my mail
> and wow! I have to say, I'm honestly quite hooked on this novel idea. I
> eagerly await more!
>
> Excellent work she produced, this Palmer.
>
> +1

stevo

>  On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Dirk Elzinga <dirk.elzi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Sweet! I've been wanting to write up the grammar for Miapimoquitch using
> > similar conceit for quite a while, but now I've been scooped. Masterfully
> > done.
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM, David Peterson <deda...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I wanted to take a moment to let everyone know about an incredible find
> > > that basically dropped into our laps at Fiat Lingua.
> > >
> > > Last November, we got an e-mail at l...@conlang.org from Madeline
> Palmer.
> > > She said she didn't know, but thought we might be interested in the
> > > attached file for our website. The title of the e-mail was "Draconic
> > > Language". Initially, I dismissed it—in fact, I'll admit I didn't even
> > look
> > > at it (I thought it was an "analysis" of the Dragon language from
> > Skyrim),
> > > and may not have if Don Boozer hadn't alerted me and said it was worth
> > > look.
> > >
> > > And so I gave it a look. The document she sent to us was a *ONE HUNDRED
> > > AND SEVENTY page grammar and lexicon* of a language she called
> > Srínawésin—a
> > > language she's been working on for about twenty years. And the form of
> > the
> > > grammar was rather unique. Rather than being a simple description, the
> > > language is presented as a linguistics graduate student's notes on a
> > > document she found in the old dissertation file of the linguistics
> > > department at NYU. The entire work is a grammar presented as a work of
> > > fiction.
> > >
> > > Over the coming months, we're going to publish the full grammar of
> > > Srínawésin at Fiat Lingua, the first installment of which has gone up
> > today
> > > [1]. As far as I know, Madeline hasn't had any connection to any of the
> > > conlanging communities, so this language has really kind of dropped out
> > of
> > > the sky. I invite you to give it a look (and hopefully I can encourage
> > > Madeline to join the Conlang list).
> > >
> > > Oh, and a Fiat Lingua-related note: While the Srínawésin grammar will
> > have
> > > about eight or nine installments, we will publish articles in the
> interim
> > > if we feel they're timely, or just to break things up a bit.
> > >
> > > [1] http://fiatlingua.org/?p=125
> > >
> > > David Peterson
> > > LCS President
> > > presid...@conlang.org