1a. Re: Cases and Declensions: Fortunatian
    From: Adam Walker

2.1. Re: constructed language famillies
    From: Adam Walker

3.1. Re: Translations needed
    From: Roger Mills

4a. Why Brithenig ain't an engelang (was: Conlang classification)
    From: R A Brown

5. THEORY: Case vs Adpositions
    From: Arthaey Angosii

1a. Re: Cases and Declensions: Fortunatian
    Posted by: "Adam Walker" carra...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:37 am ((PDT))

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Anthony Miles <mamercu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm sure many of you remember Fortunatian:

Wow!  I was just thinking about Fortunatian and the fact that I hadn't
heard anything about it or the Isles in ages just this morning while
getting ready for work.  Then lo and behold!  Unbelievable!

Adam

    Date: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:40 am ((PDT))

Nice etymology!  I love things like that.

Adam

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhieme...@web.de>wrote:

> Hallo conlangers!
>
> On Friday 24 August 2012 06:03:20 Anthony Miles wrote:
>
> > I prefer to work on sound changes by hand (and in my head!); that way,
> > mistakes in transcription can become borrowings or semantic distinctions.
>
> I also prefer working on sound changes by hand an in my head.
> Indeed, mistakes that happen that way sometimes make for
> interesting points to explore.  For instance, I goofed the
> Old Albic word for 'to ask', which I originally meant to be
> a cognate of PIE *preḱ-, which would have to have been
> _pracha_.  But I got it wrong and arrived at _phraga_ (under
> the influence of German _fragen_, no doubt), and used that in
> the recent translation relay.  Instead of changing it (I
> realized that error only after I had sent the torch), I came
> up with an alternative etymology.  I decided that _phraga_ is
> a derivation of _ga_ 'to go' with the prefix _phra-_ 'forward'.
> So I got _phraga_ 'to go forth, to explore, to ask'.
>
> --
> ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
> "Bêsel asa Éam, a Éam atha cvanthal a cvanth atha Éamal." - SiM 1:1

3.1. Re: Translations needed
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:14 am ((PDT))

IMO this is just a matter of which translation one prefers. A literal "to see
is to believe" is perfectly proper in English, along with the more common
'seeing is believing'. Cf. "To know him is to love him"--- whicdh would sound a
little odd as "knowing him is loving him"--but Span. would have 'conocerlo es
amarlo'.