I thought State laws that denied drivers licenses (or public school
education) to aliens were once thought invalid on grounds of field
preemption. That is, that only the federal government could legislate
based on alienage. I've no doubt that federal law could preempt the
California legislation if it did so expressly, but I don't think the
subtext of state law, supposedly at odds with supposed federal
policy, is enough to support a holding that the state law is
preempted.

John Noble