Are there any historical, philosophical, or political, theoretic articles that attempt serious analysis of the familiar idea of "checks and balances" as one defining principle in American constitutionalism. Regarding "checks," I have something in mind along these lines. Popular political culture cherishes the intra-governmental checks on political power.  However, popular culture doesn't seem to recognize that everytime a governmental institution or actor serves as a final check on some political process, that institution or actor is an "unchecked" checker. Thus, one important theme in American democracy/republicanism is which institution best serves the interests and aspirations of self-rule (call it "liberty" if you wish) as the final checker of the processes of constitutional government.  Among other items, I'm especially interested in when the term "checks and balances" came into prominence, and what did it mean at that time, and how has its meaning changed in contemporary politics.  Thanks.

Bobby Lipkin
Widener University School of Law
Delaware