From: Sanford Levinson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 11:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ninth circuit and the recall

At 01:24 PM 9/15/2003, you wrote:

All right, so we ve all heard the news.  Two quick questions, testing the current common wisdom of the list:

* Will the SC intervene?

*  If so, how will Rehnquist, Scalia, and Thomas vote?

The Supreme Court will NOT intervene, for several reasons.  The first is that there is a possibility that the Ninth Circuit will take them off the hook through an en banc review.  The second is that time is simply not of the essence, as it (arguably) was in Bush v. Gore.  And, finally, it's not remotely clear what the partisan dimensions of delaying the election are.  I think it's ever more likely that Davis will pull through and/or that Bustamente will get more votes than Schwarzenegger.  So even if one assumes a pure attitudinalist model of the most vulgar kind (that seemed to work all too well in BvG!), it's not clear what the result is here.  Also, R,S, and T would, I think, demonstrate their true colors, in terms of constitutional approach, and point out that what *really* explained their vote in Bv.G is Article 2, which is not in play in California.

sandy

Howard Gillman

USC