Thanks.  The "colonization laws" were of course voluntary and almost blacks took advantage of them.  My sense is that they were mostly  to placate voters back home and border state Unionists.  No one implemented them.

As for Ben Butler, he is not always the most accurate reporter of  events; hard to know what Lincoln told him (if anything); what he heard; and what the context was. "Reminiscences" are often tricky sources.

What is interesting about Lincoln is that he often talked about colonization, especially to racial conservatives, but never lifted a finger to do anything about it.  He surely did not Butler's "report" to know it   was impossible to accomplish.  Some sort of colonization in North America -- a kind of Indian Removal program -- might have been partially successful, but Lincoln never  pushed for that either.

Paul Finkelman

Barksdale, Yvette wrote:
HI Paul

DuBois' source was Wesley, "Lincoln's Plan for Colonizing the Emancipatd Negro", Journal of Negro History, IV ,pp. 12 -13 - It turns out it is available on line - http://dinsdoc.com/wesley-1.htm . Wesley  cites as a source - Butler's Reminiscences, pp. 903 - 904.

Re colonization laws - Du BOis reports that

1) in an  April 16, 1862 act which abolished slavery in the District of COlumbia, Congress appropriated $100,000 voluntary black emigration - $100.00 each.  The act also authorized the President to "make provision for trasnportation, colonization and settlemtn, in some tropical country beyond the limits of the U. S. of usch persons of the AFrican race, made free by the provisions of this Act"

2)  that by an Act of July 17, 1862 President was authoirzed to colonize  blacks made free by the confiscation acts.

 and

3) He also refers to a House bill, not enacted, which would have appropriated $200 million: (twenty million for colonization   and the remaining 180 million for purchase)  of $600,000 slaves of Unionist owners in Border  states.

yb

Professor Yvette M. Barksdale
Associate Professor of Law
The  John Marshall Law School